Saturday, April 11, 2009

How much bigger have the american homes gotten?

How much larger have the american homes gotten over the last 40 years? If it is possible then put it in square feet or percentage.


My home hasn't gotten any bigger at all. It's the same size now when it was built 33 years ago (wish I could say that about myself).

Seriously, though, homes 40 years ago usually had a 1 car garage, 1 bath, and starter homes had 1 or 2 bedrooms. Now a starter home has a 2 car garage, 2 full baths, and 3 bedrooms. And don't forget the built in dishwasher.

40 years ago an average home was around 1,000 to 1,200 SqFt. Now it's around 1,400 to 1,500 SqFt.

The average American single family home is 2,500 square feet. I just saw that on DIY info special the other day.

Guess it depends on the income and the area. I just purchased a home built in 1903 and it is 3000 square feet

No comments:

Post a Comment