Sunday, April 12, 2009

How come American blacks refer to themselves as African American?

When theyve been in America so much longer than everyone else. Shouldnt they be calling themselves American and everyone else be using hypens.


Only the super-liberals do. Real folks don't.

Interesting...although I wouldn't exactly say they've been in American longer then "everyone" else...my descendents came from Germany, Ireland, France and I'm sure there's a few other bits and pieces thrown in there for good measure. But my heritage goes back longer then a couple hundred years, so if someone is interested to know my heritage, then they ask, and I tell them. Quite simple, really. I don't really have too many opportunities to exclaim myself as a "German-Irish-French-Dutch (and some other stuff that I can't recall at the moment) American" very often. (Thank God!) I was born in and live in America so I consider myself American. I don't really care what other people call themselves; if it helps them, then so be it. Why should that bother me or anyone else for that matter?

All of the black people I know call themselves black.

AA is something that has been thrown out there as being politically correct and has emerged within the last half-century.

In the 50s and 60s black people were considered "colored" or "negro" - not black or AA. Now, we have to be politically correct.

I consider myself white not Caucasian.

I think blacks should be black and not AA.

We are Americans. That is our nationality. African American is our ethnicity. Just like Nigerian is a nationality and Bantu is an ethnicity.

Edit: For those who don't understand this African American is not a race. To say so is like saying Black Americans are an entirely different race from Black continental Africans. Nothing could be further from the truth. Just like Kansas City born Don Cheadle played the role of a Hutu man from Rwanda, Cape Town South Africa born singer Jonathan Butler could be transplanted to America and no one would ever know the difference from he and an African American.

We are Americans, but we're not represented as "All American" either, blacks have never really been made to feel welcome in this country, so we try to hold onto what seemed like a better time for us and the last time in our history when we actually had an identity, we were African. So we put the two together I think. We are seen now as African Americans, but we ARE Americans, and much more so than lots of other people in this country.

If it were up to me we'd be emerged more into American history instead of slavery as the side note. and a separate class for our history. people should learn more about Phyllis Wheatley like they do Edgar Allan Poe or whatever, "African American" history IS American history. I think we should have more recognition as Americans whose ancestors built this country along with Brits or anyone whose been here alongside the founding fathers... but how many people really do see black people in ghettos or anywhere as true Americans? A black man, Billy Lee, George Washington's right hand man, was directly next to him the whole time riding on horseback just as fast as Washington, but history books tell us Washington was a faster rider than anyone and they barely mention him.

A black man, Crispus Attics was the first person to die in the Revolutionary War, another black man was the FIRST wounded in the civil war... we've been here a long time, but still, we are separated in lots of ways and unknown to lots of people because we represent the bad side of this country, a shameful past...

it just sounds better to say African-American. Africa isn't a country so it's not like saying German-American or something like that. It's just a way of describing your race. i think technically it was supposed to be afro-american. the "afro" part is like "caucasoid" and "mongoloid."

Yes I know I'm an American, but when describing race I always refer to myself as african-american rather than black. I mean come on! My skin isn't black. If it were than that's what I'd be calling myself.

From my experience its other races who classify us as African- American. I guess they think that's politically correct. All blacks I know (see how I just said black and not AA) considers ourselves American.

i don't know it's crazy. i'm black american,i'm not african american. i not from africa

I just say black none of my AA friends have ever said they've been offended by it. Actually come to think of it my black friends are the ones who make the most hilarious race jokes : )

will u call them by america if u're describing them?

they get offended no matter what you call them. if you refer to them as black, its racist. if you call them american, then your not acknowledging their african roots and their forced slavery, if you call them african americans, you are alienating them from being regular americans. i find that all hilarious, since they refer to eacher as "*****"

No comments:

Post a Comment